Module 9 – Problem Solving through Theatre: Learning 21st Century Skills via the Dramatic Arts (Grades 6-12)
Welcome to Creativity at the Core, Module 9 – Problem Solving through Theatre: Learning 21st Century Skills via the Dramatic Arts (Grades 6-12) brought to you by the San Diego County Office of Education, The Old Globe Theatre, and La Jolla Playhouse.
The Presentation Chart will give you an entire overview of Part I of Module 9 (available under Downloads).
Tutorial: Click here for the Module 9 Problem Solving through Theatre tutorial.
- This portion of the module was programmed with the intent of serving as a blueprint for school administrators and classroom teachers to utilize during professional development sessions or teacher prep time.
- It lays out a clear series of exercises and activities which guides participants through the process of discussion and discovery of specific issues or concerns that are being faced by teachers and students in their classrooms.
- Part I was designed to allow for significant open discussion and dialogue through which participants are invited to share about their individual contexts and take advantage of the larger group to brainstorm effective avenues of inquiry and the use of Theatre activities and practices to promote problem solving with students.
This portion of the Module contains four major Units:
- Creativity: The objective is to explore the skills specific to Improvisation so as to release creative anxiety that may be holding one back from trusting instincts.
- Collaboration: The objective is to explore the skills specific to building an ensemble through collaboration.
- Communication: The objective is to explore the skills specific to understanding that our bodies have language of their own and our words are only a part of what we say.
- Critical Thinking: The objective is to explore the skills specific to critical literacy through abstract dramatic activities, connected to a single topic or theme.
In the Research document, you will find web resources. Also, please reference the Bibliography which provides a list of valuable resources.
Read about the Common Core Plus standards in the Standards document under Downloads. Also in the Four units mentioned above, the specific standards addressed are listed in the units.
Pauline Crooks, Visual and Performing Arts Coordinator, San Diego County Office of Education
Steve McCormick, Former Director of Education and Outreach, La Jolla Playhouse
Alison Urban, Associate Director of Education and Outreach, La Jolla Playhouse
Russ Sperling, Former Visual and Performing Arts Coordinator, San Diego County Office of Education
Roberta Wells-Famula, Former Director of Education, The Old Globe Theatre
Other Education and Arts Contributors
Crystal Mercado, Former Education Programs Manager, The Old Globe Theatre