Welcome to Module 20: This module is about expanding access to music education and integration for students in Grades TK- 6 with diverse abilities through Universal Design for Learning.
The Presentation Chart will give you an entire overview of the module (available under Downloads).
Click here for an Introduction to Module 20.
California school districts have been undergoing change, incorporating Multi-Tiered System of Supports into their schools and district. This has decreased the population of students with IEPs in Special Day Classes, increasing the inclusion of students in classrooms throughout the district. Based on data attained from educator and administrator surveys, teachers, both general classroom and certificated specialist teachers, would like to learn how to provide quality arts instruction to all students in their classroom. They need the instructional strategies needed to allow the various types of learners access to arts learning, and would like to receive more professional learning in this topic.
Planning your Professional Learning (Content Outlines)
This professional development module will focus on three specific points:
- Developing teacher understanding of the Universal Design for Learning (UDL) framework, creating a flexible learning environment, instruction and assessment to accommodate individual learning differences.
- Expanding teacher knowledge of the characteristics of various learning barriers and styles of students with diverse abilities and strategies to support learning.
- Increasing teacher ability to create and deliver a music lesson incorporating UDL Guidelines, providing Kindergarten, 2nd , and 5th Grade music lessons as a supporting example
Module Outcome: Teachers will be able to develop and deliver music education or integration lessons incorporating UDL to support access to curriculum and learning for students with diverse abilities in their class.
In the Research document you will find web and book resources under Downloads.
Read about the Music standards in the Standards document under Downloads.
- Amy Bultena – VAPA/STEAM Coordinator, Stanislaus County Office of Education
Address: 1100 H St, Modesto, CA 95354
- Steve Venz – Former Visual and Performing Arts Coordinator, Orange County Department of Education
Address: 200 Kalmus Drive, Costa Mesa, CA 92628-9050
- Stacy Young – Visual and Performing Arts Program Manager, Humboldt County Office of Education
Address: 901 Myrtle Avenue, Eureka, CA 95501
Other Education and Arts Contributors:
Rhoda Bernard, Ed. D., Managing Director, Berklee Institute for Arts Education and Special Needs
William Houchin, M.M. ed, Instructor, Berklee Institute for Arts Education and Special NeedsTags: Elementary Music, Music, Music instruction, UDL, Universal Design for Learning