Module 1 – Lifting the Barre in Arts Education: Connecting Dance with Common Core in English Language Arts, Math, Social Studies and Science (Grades K-6)
Welcome to Creativity at the Core, Module 1 – Lifting the Barre in Arts Education: Connecting Dance with Common Core in English Language Arts, Math, Social Studies and Science (K-6) brought to you by the Humboldt County Office of Education and North Coast Dance.
K-6 teachers with an understanding of Common Core and Dance Standards to promote Arts Integration. Educators can either self-pace through this training module or download it and present it to other educators over a 12-hour period.
Participants will gain greater understanding in Visual and Performing Arts Dance Standards and Common Core Standards. Participants will be able to teach choreography as an integrated lesson for deeper understanding in other subjects. 21st century skills of: Creativity, Collaboration, Critical Thinking and Communication are key take-aways.
The Presentation Chart will give you an entire overview of the module (available under Downloads).
Tutorial: Click here for the Module 1 Lifting the Barre Tutorial.
Planning your professional learning (Content Outlines)
The following outlines can be used to break down your professional learning. These are all available under Downloads.
- Introduction, Common Core Standards and Dance Standards
- Elements of Dance
- Choreography and Principles of Composition
- Dance Evaluation
- Implementing Arts Integration
Handouts & Resources
Use the following handouts and resources to help with professional learning.
- Handout 1: Glossary of Dance Terms
- Handout 2: Dance Activities
- Handout 3: Movement Problems
- Handout 4: Dance Rubric
- Lifting the Barre (.ppt)
- Music for classroom use (mp3 files)
In the Research document you will find web, book and periodical resources.
Read about the Common Core Plus standards in the Standards document under Downloads.
- Stacy Young – Visual & Performing Arts Curriculum Specialist, Humboldt County Office of Education, 901 Myrtle Avenue Eureka, CA 95501
- Ikolo Griffin – Artistic Director, North Coast Dance
- Gina Grebe – Schools to Dance Coordinator and Instructor, North Coast Dance, 426 F Street Eureka, CA 95501
Other Education and Arts Contributors
- Benjamin Bettenhausen – Videographer/Owner, Mahalo Video
- Justin Ross – Pianist, North Coast Dance
- Kris Beck-Marquez – Executive Director, North Coast Dance