Module 3 – Common Core: Implementing Arts through Communication, Collaboration, Critical Thinking, and Creativity (Grades K-12)
Welcome to Creativity at the Core Module 3 – Common Core: Implementing Arts through Communication, Collaboration, Critical Thinking, and Creativity (Grades K-12) brought to you by Sacramento County Office of Education, California Musical Theatre, and Crocker Art Museum.
The Presentation Chart will give you an entire overview of the module (available under Downloads).
Tutorial: Click here to view the Module 3 Common Core: Implementing Arts through Communication, Collaboration, Critical Thinking and Creativity tutorial.
Planning your Professional Learning (Content Outlines)
The following outlines can be used to break down your training. These are all available under Downloads.
- Module Introduction
- Text Complexity in the Common Core
- Studying the Standards
- Close Reading
- Instructor Model of a Close Read
- Model Debrief
- Connect to the Classroom
Handouts & Resources
Use the following handouts and resources to help with professional learning.
- Handout 1: CCSS for ELA/Literacy, Appendix C, p. 6
- Handout 2: CCSS for ELA/Literacy – Reading Standards
- Handout 3: VAPA Standards 1.0 Artistic Strand
- Handout 4: Text-Dependent Questions
- Handout 5: “Defying Gravity” Lyrics
- Handout 6: Script Exceprt from “Wicked”
- Handout 7: Planning Guide for Close Reading – “Wicked” Sample
- Handout 8: Planning Guide for Close Reading – Blank
- Powerpoint: The 4 C’s
- Powerpoint: Close Reading in Musical Theater
Another Component of the Module is devoted to Reading, Writing, Listening, and Speaking in the Arts
- Explore the importance of arts integration
- Examine the power of an artful discussion to support student engagement and deepen learning
- Make connections across standards
- Practice planning an artful discussion
Handouts & Resources
- Powerpoint: Artful Discussions- Reading, Writing, Listening, and Speaking in the Arts
- Video: Why the Arts?
- Powerpoint: About Common Core (Crocker Art Museum)
- Resource: Artful Discussions – Flipbook Version 1
- Resource: Artful Discussions – Flipbook Version 2
In the Research document you will find web resources.
Read about the Common Core Plus standards in the Standards document under Downloads.
Gina Smith, Director of Education, California Musical Theatre, 1510 J Street, Suite 200, Sacramento, CA 95814
Becky Sullivan, Director of Professional Development, Sacramento County Office of Education, 10474 Mather Blvd., Sacramento, CA 95655
Mallorie Marsh, Crocker Art Museum, 216 O Street, Sacramento, CA 95814
Other Education and Arts Contributors
Dr. Steven Winlock, Executive Director, Sacramento County Office of EducationTags: 21st Century Skills, 4 C's, Artful discussions, Close Read, Common Core, Deep Reading, how to discuss and interpret art, Lyrics, Visual Arts