California County Superintendents Educational Services Association Arts Initiative and the Sacramento County Office of Education
ARTS INTEGRATION AT THE CORE
Professional Learning Opportunity
February 8, 2019
Sacramento County Office of Education Conference Center
County and District leaders, School Principals, Arts Leaders, County Arts Leads, Curriculum Coordinators, District Arts Coordinators, Arts Specialists, Teachers, and Parents.
- Learn research about the effectiveness of arts integration to impact student achievement.
- Experience culturally and linguistically responsive strategies for interdisciplinary learning across subject matter and grade levels K-12.
- Learn about the new statewide TPE’s teaching performance expectations for arts in K-12.
- Engage in hands-on effective strategies for powerful arts integration in the classroom in Humanities and STEM.
- Learn more about Title I and the Arts.
- Develop structures by which your own districts can plan for and implement arts integration strategies alongside Common Core.
- Learn about the ART=OPPORTUNITY campaign and receive Creativity at the Core resources.
- Network with colleagues from across California and so much more!
Merryl Goldberg is a Professor of Music at California State University San Marcos and Director of the ART=OPPORTUNITY campaign of Center ARTES, a university center dedicated to restoring arts to education. Her publications include Arts Integration: Teaching Subject Matter Through the Arts in Multicultural Settings 5th edition (2017) as well as other books, articles, chapters, editorials, and blogs. She has received numerous research and programmatic grants including Federal Department of Education Arts in Education Program, Fulbright-Hays Foundation, National Endowment for the Arts, California Arts Council, Stuart and Panta Rhea foundation grants. She is a member of the CREATE CA Leadership Council. Merryl’s undergraduate degree is from New England Conservatory of Music, and her doctorate is from the Harvard Graduate School of Education. Prior to entering academia, she recorded numerous CDs and was on the road for 13 years playing the saxophone with the Klezmer Conservatory Band. She is a member of the Harvard Graduate School of Education. Prior to entering academia, she recorded numerous CDs and was on the road for 13 years playing the saxophone with the Klezmer Conservatory Band. Merryl’s hometown is Boston. Go Red Sox!
Fee includes breakfast, lunch, and materials. Participants will receive Merryl Goldberg’ s textbook entitled Arts Integration, Teaching Subject Matter through the Arts in Multicultural Settings, by Merryl Goldberg (5th Edition, 2017).
This event is sponsored by the California County Superintendents Educational Services Association and the Sacramento County Office of Education through funding from The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation and the Stuart Foundation